Wednesday 17 July 2019

Adorations

Daily adorations are one of the few constants outside of the seasonal and lunar cycles that I commit to doing regularly. Some days it is harder than others and some days it truly feels like a chore but its always worth it when I do it.

I worship 2 gods upon my altar who are Elen and Herne, They have been my patrons ever since I began to really take my druidry seriously. They are deeply tied to the powers of the land and I really love the tales that are told of both of them. Although their origins aren't like those of the ancient Greek or Egyptian deities there is no reason for me to doubt them or the blessings they bestow upon my life and the lives of those around me.

So every single day I open the powers of my shrine with the lighting of a candle and I evoke the awen, I address the spirit of that light and then I pray..............for everything.......for anything.........and sometimes for nothing. At times all I want to do is tell the god and goddess that I love them and want them to be with me. I then offer to my ancestors and the gods before completing the adoration. Every time I perform this ritual of adoration I find a moment of peace, of solace, of clarity, and it pulls me closer to the gods (or them closer to me, I'm not sure which)......The point is, although some days I can't wait to get to the end of the day and commune with my lord and lady and other days I have to drag myself from my bed with heavy limbs, it's positives far outweigh the negatives.

I have been sharing this dedication with a friend of mine who of course has her own set of magickal needs and expectations. For example she performs hers every morning as a pose to me doing it in the evening, she lights 3 candles on her altar to represent each ray of the awen, where I only use the one. I also pray to deities that she doesn't, but the same rings true for her as it does for me.......Every single day there is a moment that is hers, that is based on her own terms which rewards her in a way that only that moment can. We take that moment every day as sacred and to acknowledge the divine in the world, in the other world, or in the cosmos..........then in that exact same moment it acknowledges us.

Something amazing I heard on a documentary that I watched about astronomy and stars says much the same thing about how amazing it feels to connect with things that are so much bigger than you are.........."Stars are millions, billions, or trillions of light years away and we will never be able to go to those starts in our lifetimes to ever touch them, but every night when you go out under the night sky you are caressed by the very light of those same stars that are so far away. You may not be able to touch them but from so far away, a beautiful powerful vibrant and immense force is in that moment.......touching you.

That is how I feel when I do my adoration every evening, in that moment when I sit in front of my shrine the gods look back at me in love and smile back. No matter how you do it or who its too I urge you to try something.....anything.....every day. Who knows, you might feel the light of the gods shine on you too.

My home shrine that I use for my daily adorations.

No comments: